Wednesday 17 August 2011

The X Factor

Firstly, I would just like to apologise for my lack of blogging. My work (yes, my real full time work, that actually pays the bills and fund my cupcake obsession) has been HEC-to-the-TIC. Also, in between starting a facebook page, working on my website, baking and making cupcake toppers there are simply not enough hours in a day to blog.  

Little less conversation and little more blogging action!

Ok, so I have been on the hunt for the perfect vanilla cupcake recipe for a while now, but I have not been able to nail one down that I truly like. My poor family, friends and colleges have been eating vanilla cupcakes for months on end as I experiment with various vanilla cupcake recipes.

Last Wednesday evening when I was unable to sleep, I decided to experiment and make a batch of Victoria Sponge cupcakes, basically a fancy name for vanilla cupcakes. After baking the cupcake bases the recipe required the bases to be brushed with vanilla syrup, what I like to refer to as the X factor. Although the vanilla cupcake was very moist, I wasn’t fond of this batch of vanilla cupcakes as I found it to be very dense.

By this time, the clock had struck 1AM and I was so displeased with the first batch of cupcakes that I decided to revert back to an old vanilla cupcake recipe that I usually use. I found this recipe online a few months ago through a blog (which now I can’t remember the name of for the life of me) and wrote it down on a piece paper, which I have now taken a photo of on my iPhone because knowing me I would lose it! Anyway, the vanilla cupcake recipe makes nice moist fluffy cupcakes but I always thought it lacked something – the X factor.

So it hit me at 2AM in the morning, that I should use the left over X factor and brush it over the moist fluffy vanilla cupcakes. So I did. What was the outcome, you ask? YUMMA-LICIOUS!

Cupcake Wars with myself:
Victoria Sponge Cupcakes vs Simple Vanilla Cupcakes

So from being unable to sleep to engaging in a cupcake war with myself, I think I may have found the perfect vanilla cupcake recipe. I have since made this vanilla recipe combo twice and both times it turned out pretty darn good.

3 comments:

  1. Nice! Sounds like an excellent combo!! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Beth and Elena! They are quite delicious. I will have to release the X Factor recipe soon.

    ReplyDelete