Thursday 30 June 2011

Trifle cupcake

I have just engaged in misleading and deceptive conduct. I didn't actually make a trifle cupcake as such, I made a trifle from left over cupcakes which I had froze a week ago and defrosted. I don't know why, but I don't like to eat bake goods that have been frozen and defrosted. It just freaks me out. I am sure that if I was given a defrosted cupcake and was not told, I wouldn't know any better and it wouldn't bother me. If I know it has been frozen, I just can’t handle it!

Not wanting to waste the frozen cupcakes, I decided to make trifle using the cupcakes. Please see image below.


I cut the cupcakes into thirds and spread jam (raspberry flavoured of course, my fav!) on one side. Being the incredibly healthy person that I am (HA!) I cut little pieces of canned peaches and put it on top of the cupcake base.


Then in went the jelly.


While waiting for the jelly to set, I got started on the custard. I used vanilla bean paste instead of vanilla extract and it made the custard all the more yummier. Nothing quite beats homemade custard. 30 minutes later, once the jelly had set and the custard was cool, in went the layer of custard.


Then I had to repeat the process, another layer of cupcake, jam, fruit and jelly. And back in fridge for it to all set.


Finally, I put the top of the cupcake on the jelly layer and piped some cream on top. And to top it all off, a glazed cherry.


What do I like most about trifle? How the sponge cake layer tastes after being set in jelly. Oh and the cream, oh the cream! Yum! It is now breakfast time or should I say, trifle time?!

No comments:

Post a Comment