Friday 17 June 2011

Hideously ugly, but ridiculously rich. Could you, would you, do it?

I would like to start off this blog post by letting everyone know that English is my Second Language. Yes, I am ESL. I have had numerous, dreadfully embarrassing ESL mishaps in my time (horrendous for me, crazy good times for everyone else). I am like Gloria from Modern Family (minus the lush long hair, oversized boobs but yet perfectly proportioned and fiery Latino personality. Oh, and replace the Colombian accent with an Aussie quasi Asian accent).

I have been known to mistake certain phrases or lyrics in my time. Just to name a recent few, I thought:

·         the lyrics of ‘Eye of the Tiger’ by Survivor (the theme song to the Rocky movies) was: “Kiss me, I am tiger...”
·         the lyrics of ‘Break My Stride’ by Matthew Wilder was: “Ain’t nothing gonna break my spine, ain’t nobody gonna hold me down, oh no, I got to keep on moving!”
·         Sex and The City was ‘Sex in The City’ (and if you look at one of my previous blog posts, I made this mistake though out the entire post).

In addition, during a recent case study I was coordinating, I called it a ‘stimulated’ case study, when it was, in fact, a simulated case study. I could never understand why the students were always chuckling whenever I reminded them of their upcoming stimulated case study!

Yesterday, I had a dreadfully embarrassing ESL encounter. I made Ferrero Rocher cupcakes for a briefing I was organising (yes, I have to bribe colleagues to come to my briefings with promises of cupcakes). For some reason, and even to this very moment, I kept calling the cupcakes Roferro Rocher! Why? I don’t know. It’s FERRERO! But alas, I can’t get it into my ESL head. The only reason I picked up on the mistake was because my dear friend and esteemed colleague, Ebonee, told me after briefing! Fo' shame.

So how did I make the Roferro Rocher or Ferrero Rocher (whatever you want to call it)? It was quite simple actually. I made my all time favourite Lindt chocolate cupcakes. I then pierced a hole in the centre of the cupcake and placed a little hazelnut in the centre. I then piped nutella frosting (yes, nutella = yumma) into the hole and around the top of the cupcake and poured melted Lindt hazelnut milk chocolate onto the top of each cupcake. And there you have it, Ferrero Rocher cupcakes!



The cupcakes turned out hideously ugly, but ridiculously rich and delicious. Could you, would you, do it? Eat it, that is ...

1 comment: