Sunday 19 June 2011

Recipe release: Mint Slice cupcakes

A number of people have requested my Mint Slice cupcake recipe and wanting to share the cupcake love, I have decided to post the recipe on my blog. It is surprisingly quite simple!

Firstly, you need to make a batch of chocolate cupcakes. Any chocolate cupcakes will do the trick. I usually make my trustworthy Lindt chocolate cupcakes that has yet to fail me. If you are feeling a little lazy, I would suggest using Ms Crocker's moist chocolate cupcake mix. Just for the record, since making the baking from scratch pledge, I have not cheated with Ms Crocker. I have been faithful! I still have two boxes of Ms Crocker's cake mix in my pantry. So they are up for the taking if anyone wants them.

Oh dear, I seem to have gone off track. Let's get back to talking about the wonderful world of Mint Slice cupcakes. Once you have prepared the cupcakes, leave them aside to cool. While the cupcakes are cooling, you can work on the all important frosting. First, you need to make the mint frosting. You will find that your electrical beater will get an absolute beating (get it, get it?! Electrical beater, getting a beating. I just LOL!) making the Mint Slice frosting as your electrical beater will be on the entire time. To begin with, beat 90 grams of salted butter (at room temperature) until the butter is pale. Add 3 tablespoons of thickened cream, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, 5 teaspoons of peppermint essence and continue to beat well until all of the wet ingredients are well combined. Add 4 cups of sifted icing sugar - add one cup at a time and beat well. Lastly, add a pinch of salt for luck and yes, you guessed it, beat well. There you have it, mint frosting (this should be enough frosting for icing approximately 24 cupcakes).

Put the Mint Slice frosting aside and now get started on the dark chocolate frosting. Ok, so I can't claim credit for this icing as I modelled my dark chocolate frosting from Martha Swift's and Lisa Thomas' 'Cupcakes from the Primrose Bakery' recipe book. So this is me giving due credit when credit is due (FYI - their cupcakes are AMAZING! I cannot wait to visit their bakery when I visit London next year!). Firstly, beat 250 grams of salted butter (at room temperature) until the butter is pale. Add 1 tablespoon of thickened cream, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, 150 grams of melted dark chocolate and continue to beat well until all of the wet ingredients are well combined. Add 250 grams of sifted icing sugar - add one third of the icing sugar at a time and beat well. Once again, add a pinch of salt for luck and beat it!

By the time it takes you to make the two frostings, your chocolate cupcakes should be cooled. Pipe the mint frosting on top of each cupcake by starting from the centre of the cupcake and rotate the piping bag in a simple circular motion. Only pipe one layer of the mint frosting - I know fellow mint lovers would be tempted to pipe more but resist the temptation! Once you have piped all the cupcakes with the mint frosting, pipe on the dark chocolate frosting in a similar way, but instead of piping one layer, pipe the dark chocolate frosting into an icing tower (I am not sure if that is the correct icing terminology?). If you are confused, please refer to the image below.


There you have it! Mint Slice cupcakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment