Friday 3 June 2011

To spread or not to spread? That is the question ...

It has been a while since I last blogged, but this week has just slipped away from me. I have been quite busy this week as I had to work late a couple of nights and had to bake for various occasions the other nights, and before I knew it, it was the weekend. So here I am ...

On Friday morning, I woke up in the wee hours to bake for both Brendyn’s and my respective work places. Due to popular demand, I made my Mint Slice cupcakes again. The thought my early morning baking adventure would be a walk in the park given that I only made the cupcakes earlier that week, but it turned out to be an absolute disaster!

Disaster #1 - I over cooked the cupcakes. I wasn’t too distraught by this because I thought I could make up for it if I made the icing perfectly. The peppermint icing turned out quite well and piped on quite nicely. I wish I could say the same about my dark chocolate icing. This leads me to Disaster #2. After I had melted the Lindt chocolate to pour into my icing mixture, I didn’t bother to check whether there were any lumps. And my goodness - were there lumps!! The icing kept clogging at the tip of the icing nozzle. I had to change and use three different icing nozzles. After much blasphemy and tears (maybe), I decided to spread the chocolate icing on.


I have always piped my icing onto cupcakes. Never have I spread icing on to a cupcake. Although I am not against the notion of spreading icing on one’s cupcake, I feel as though piped icing looks much more inviting. I guess I am just not a spreader. Are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment