Tuesday 10 May 2011

Brrr, it's cold!


As I am fairly new to the world of blogging, I am not yet familiar with the blogging etiquette. How often should you post? Is posting more than once a day too much? Is posting once a week too little? How long should each post be? This is an insight into the hard hitting questions that I deal with on a daily basis. So, I have set myself a blogging goal, I have decided to blog at least once a week and no more than once a day. Please make sure I stick to it and if I don't, pull me up on it!

I woke up this morning feeling terribly cold which caused me to reminisce about one of my baking adventures that I embarked on last year. Zachary’s kindy class had a ‘’cold’’ themed party in early June to celebrate the arrival of the winter season. Parents (and aunties!) were asked to bring a plate of food to share that was “cold” themed inspired. Not surprisingly, I jumped at the opportunity to make cupcake but was a little stuck on the theme.

Whilst at work on the morning of the day I was due to bake the cupcakes, I glanced over to my lolly jar and noticed little banana lollies (my favourite) and an idea came to mind – banana split decorated cupcakes. Banana splits are not only cold, but super fun! But how was I to do this? I thought the best way to construct such a cupcake was to split a banana lolly in half, use multi-coloured Kool fruits as the ice cream scoops and drizzle melted chocolate as the chocolate sauce.
When it came time to executing the cupcake, it was a lot more difficult than expected. The Kool fruits were too big for the banana split lollies. I looked in my pantry and luckily, I had raspberry and vanilla marshmallows (another lolly favourite of mine). I tore a marshmallow into thirds and started to play with it and rolled the marshmallow into little ball (not to worry, my hands were cleaned). Given the sticky nature of marshmallows, it formed a ball and sat between the two banana splits perfectly. It actually looked like ice cream scoops too! But don't take my word for it, you be the judge of that:


The kids loved the look of the cupcakes! The look on the kids' faces, especially Zachary's, made it all worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment