Tuesday 6 March 2012

She's got PERTHanality!

I get star struck very easily! In my opinion, there is nothing better than seeing a celebrity. This is probably the sole reason why I am on twitter, just so that I can get one step closer to celebrities! I know I sound like a creepy stalker, but I assure you, I am not. So take my word for it.

Much to my surprise, after dating Brendyn for a few months, I discovered that his sister, Ashleigh, was an Australian Hockeyroo player. Although I had never played or watched a game of hockey in my life (the extent of my hockey knowledge was the Mighty Ducks movie), I was very excited by the prospects of knowing a celebrity. But not just any celebrity, a Perth personality, a Perthanality! So yes, I have a celebrity for a sister-in-law. Haters, don’t be hating …

Last Saturday some of the Hockeyroo players organised a fundraising event to help them “Chase Gold” for the upcoming Olympics. Naturally, I saw this as the perfect opportunity to bake (and to also help out my sis-in-law of course)! So I volunteered to donate a batch of cupcakes to be auctioned off to raise funds to assist the girls chase gold.

I wanted to make something quite spectacular for my sister from another mister celebrity, and with that in mind, I decided to make personalised cupcakes of each Hockeyroo player. Each topper is made from fondant and is therefore 100% edible. As I didn’t have a cookie cutter shape mould of a sport jersey, I had to free style it and cut the jersey shapes out by hand. Originally, to save time, I had planned to draw on the girls’ number and skirt with a green edible marker. But the green edible marker left a horrible streak of colour and the colour was not consistent. So let this be a lesson for you all, edible markers are not designed for colouring in fondant! Being the perfectionist that I am, I decided to colour some fondant green with Wilton colour gel and individually cut the numbers and skirts out for each topper by hand. So as you can imagine, the toppers took a heck of a lot more time than I had planned.




Nevertheless, despite the minor hiccups, the cupcakes turned out looking pretty smick and the night was a great success. The cupcakes were auctioned off for approximately $220 (AUD). I also got a great plug from a VERY tall Perthanality, channel 10 news reader, Tim Gossage.  All in all, it was quite a successful baking adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment